Panama Top Destinatons - Best Places to visit in Panama
Search and Compare Prices and Save on Travel to Panama with guiaviajesvirtual.com
Book Cheap Hotels Deals, Cheap Flights,vVacation Packages, All Inclusive Resorts, Car Rentals and Cruises
Panama Vacation and Travel Guide
Panama is located in the southeast corner of Central America. Its official name is the Republic of Panama and its capital is the city of Panama.
It bordered on the north by the Caribbean Sea, south by the Pacific Ocean, east and west by Colombia Costa Rica.
Panama has become one of the most attractive and innovative tourist destinations in Central America with a wide variety of attractions and activities.
Tourist Top Destinations in Panama
Tourism shopping, business convention, beaches, luxury destinations and eco-tourism are just some of the ways offered by this beautiful country.
The Panama Canal - Miraflores Visitors Center
The Panama Canal is arguably the biggest tourist attraction in the city of Panama. From the terraces and balconies of the Miraflores Visitor Center you can watch the boats pass just a few meters away. Within the center there is a restaurant and museum.
Recognized as the eighth wonder of the world, it is the narrowest point of union between the Caribbean and the Pacific Ocean. This is possible through three gates and three artificial lakes. It is more than just an incredible feat of engineering, it is a complex bond between man's ability and force of nature. The ecosystem surrounding it is just wonderful. 52 million gallons of fresh water each boat to mobilize needed; each year about 14,000 ships pass.
The Panama Canal is an oceanic navigation route between the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean that crosses the Isthmus of Panama at its narrowest point. Since its inauguration, which occurred on 15 August 1914, has had the effect of shortening over time and distance maritime communication, boosting the relatively cheap between the two oceans commercial and economic exchange by providing a path of short transit and decisively influencing patterns of world trade, boosting economic growth in developed and developing, as well as providing the momentum for economic growth in many remote regions.
The Panama Canal is arguably the biggest tourist attraction in the city of Panama. From the terraces and balconies of the Miraflores Visitor Center you can watch the boats pass just a few meters away. Within the center there is a restaurant and museum. Recognized as the eighth wonder of the world, it is the narrowest point of union between the Caribbean and the Pacific Ocean. This is possible through three gates and three artificial lakes. It is more than just an incredible feat of engineering, it is a complex bond between man's ability and force of nature. The ecosystem surrounding it is just wonderful. 52 million gallons of fresh water each boat to mobilize needed; each year about 14,000 ships pass.
Free Zone or Zona Franca de Colón is located on the Caribbean coast of Panama in the province of Colon, in the streets of the city of Colon. It is the largest in the Americas Free Trade Zone and the second in the world. There items of all kinds are sold, wholesale and duty-free import and export.
The ruins of the Cathedral: They are a symbol of the city, was completed in 1626 and suffered a fire in 1644, still vestiges of which are preserved highlights the three-level bell which was built on the back of the church tower and which it is reached by a spiral staircase made of stone.
The Cabildo: It was built in 1583 next to the cathedral giving his opposite Plaza Mayor. In 1621 he was hit by an earthquake in 1640 it rose again and is now left standing some of their ruins.
Royal Houses: They were built near the harbor and the sea to accommodate the general accounting, customs and chancery and residence of Auditors, President and Governor, its location was designed as a fortress with a fence to separate it from the rest of the city.
Convent of San Francisco: It occupied a large area with waterfront on the main street leading to the Plaza Mayor and the Cathedral, in 1573 the first building was completed in 1603 and began to stone standing still leaving the architectural ruins from this convent.
Jesuit Convent: It was built at the cobbled near the Plaza Mayor, was founded in 1578 by Father Miguel Fuentes, was affected by the earthquake of 1621 and during construction of the cathedral in 1624, the cult moved the Church of the convent. Currently you can hike and observe the line and part of the walls of the church and the convent.
Hospital San Juan de Dios: Current ruins of the hospital dating back to 1620 when hospital of San Juan de Dios reformed the original building, which is also on the main street leading to the cathedral and next to the Church of the conception.
Convento de las Monjas de la Concepción: Founded on February 10, 1597 and today you can fully observe the perimeter of the walls that occupied the convent, part of the thick stone walls of the church as well as the well or cistern water that supplied the convent.
La Casa del Obispo: It is the largest and best preserved of Panama La Vieja. It dates from the 1640s and belonged to Pedro de Alarcón. The main body of the building had 3 levels, the latter of which had wooden walls. There was an almost square interior courtyard and a narrow rear wing something.
El Fuerte de la Natividad: It was built around 1658 and was the only defense that had the city, currently still standing and can be visited on access to the historic city.
Puente del Rey: bridge built in stone with a single arch that connected the City of Panama, in the Pacific, with the road to Portobelo in the Caribbean, remains complete and can be seen from the road that leads to the Historical Monuments.
Slaughterhouse Bridge: bridge of a single arch with side stone buttresses around the city communicated with the outside through the Fuerte de la Natividad and can be seen in good condition.
Convento de San José: Its foundation is placed around 1612 and this convent only part of the walls of the church next to the remains. Access road to the Historical Monuments.
Casco Antiguo or Casco Viejo: is Panama's second city founded in 1673 after the destruction of the first city now called "Panama La Vieja", which occurred in 1671 with the attack of the pirate Henry Morgan. It is for this reason that the new building was a fortified city with a thick stone wall and seven bastions to protect it from any attempt to pirate attack.
Inside religious, military and civil buildings which are preserved today and can be visited by going by private car or guided tours were erected.
La Merced: Built around 1680 still retains its original stone façade in Baroque style. Its location is in close proximity to Central Avenue to the Puerta de Tierra was the main access to the City.
Municipal House: Built during the first third of this century, was restored by the Municipality of Panama to represent an excellent example of neoclassical architecture of its time and its interior can be seen on the floor the outline of the colonial wall the city.
Metropolitan Cathedral: Built between 1688 and 1796 is one of the best examples of religious colonial architecture of Panama. Its main entrance is made of stone carved with two lateral towers that house the relocated bells of the cathedral of Panama La Vieja after the Pirata Morgan destroyed it in 1671.
Old City Hall: Construction of neoclassical Italian influence. It was built in 1910 replacing the historical Colonial Cabildo where both independence from Spain in 1821 as the separation of Colombia in 1903. Inside is the Museum of History of Panama and offices of the Academy was proclaimed.
Museo del Canal de Panama: Built in the mid-nineteenth century to "Grand Hotel" and that worked until the earthquake of 1858, which was bought later by the "Compagnie Universelle du Canal Interoceanique" making it their headquarters since 1879. After the US government acquired the rights of the French Canal sold it to Panama. This building functioned for several decades the offices of the National Post. Today is the Museo del Canal de Panama.
National Palace: Built between 1905 and 1908, it takes the place of the former Convent of the Nuns of the Conception. It is an architectural ensemble of three floors form a single building with the National Theatre.
National Institute of Culture: Completed in 1931 on part of the original colonial construction of the "Cuartel de Chiriqui". For a long time he worked there the Supreme Court and the day today is occupied by the National Institute of Culture.
The Vaults: It is called thus to the colonial military complex which was the bulwark of Chiriqui important part of the walled city system, were built during the eighteenth century to house the troops. In 1926 on the remains of the fortress, the monument was built to the initiators of the French Canal. In 1983 the Government of Panama restored architectural recovering much of its original features as well as the nine main vaults where they operate art galleries and one of the best French cuisine restaurants in Panama.
St. Joseph Church: Built between 1671 and 1677 inside is the famous Golden Altar is an altarpiece Churrigueresque based structured twisted columns and a large fine and decorative richness that makes it appear like a jewel of art colonial in Panama.
Convent of Santo Domingo: It was built in 1678 as one of the most magnificent temples in the city until 1771 when a fire destroyed it. It is known as the "Arco Chato by its flattened form that served to sustain the high choir. The Government of Panama in 1983 completely restored rescuing. Currently you can go outside and inside and observe the patina of time in their stone walls.
Ruins of the Convent of the Society of Jesus: Built in 1749, was destroyed in 1781 when much of the city was affected by a fire. Made room inside the Royal and Pontifical University of San Javier until 1667 when King Carlos III decided the expulsion of the Jesuits. Panama's government restored the ruins of this convent in 1983.
President of the Republic: Built on the old Customs Pacific was completely overhauled in 1922 to suit the functions today, using a design type Andalusian inside which works the Presidency of the Republic, which is accessed through a lobby where white herons remain captive permanently so it is also known as the "Palace of the herons".
Church and Convent of San Francisco: The church was built in 1673, ruining during the fires of 1737 and 1776 to be reused and modernly remodeled. The area of the monastery was occupied by a public school and is also found inside the Bolivarian Hall where they held the Amphictyonic Congress led by famous liberator Simon Bolivar.
National Theatre: It was built between 1905 and 1908 and is part of the architectural ensemble of the National Palace. It was restored by the Government and is currently in operation in the focus of interest in the artistic life of the country.
Amador Causeway in Panama is a tourist place where you can spend some quality time with family or friends. Amador Causeway has islands that once were a favorite anchorage of Spanish galleons that came to Panama City with treasures which snatched the Inca empire. In 1913, the islands became part of Fort Grant, this fort was used to defend the entrance of the Panama Canal against potential attacks from Germany or Japan. The armed forces of the United States built the road linking the three islands using rocks from the excavation of the Panama Canal. There is an old secret tunnel "Since military command" dug deep into the rock of the Flamenco island. Amador Causeway called in Castilian "Calzada de Amador", consists of a road from the mainland that connects four small islands in the Bay of Panama: Naos, Culebra, Perico and Flamenco.
When visiting Panama, Amador Causeway is an excellent tourist spot to enjoy an unforgettable holiday in the Causeway will have beautiful views offered by the Pacific Ocean, you can see ships waiting permission for transit through the canal of Panama and the fabulous bridge of the Americas, while the other side, you can see the impressive skyline and modern city of Panama showing us her beautiful buildings.
Amador Causeway is a place like no other in Panama. Itself is almost entirely, by the south, a long street where you can see the sea on both sides with beautiful views of the city of Panama, Bridge of the Americas and the ships transiting the Panama Canal . Along the road vehicles travel at low speeds, people biking, running, walking, skating, sitting on benches, strolling families, youths on skateboards, horses with carriages, food vendors and famous are " scrapings "and many more sports and leisure activities that are exploited to get outdoors and with a spectacular view of the sea on both sides. The northern section of the Causeway has an amazing hotel, restaurants like Fridays and Yacht Club where several of these incredible boats anchored in the harbor of the Causeway are.
What activities can be performed in Amador Causeway?
It is a tourist and perfect place for walking, jogging, skating, cycling and enjoying the beautiful scenery with friends or family.
In addition you can enjoy fine dining, shopping centers, convention center, yacht marina, hotels near the Panama Canal, discos and impressive nature that soothes the senses. The Amador Causeway has a marine exhibition center "Tropical Research Institute" Smithsonian, where you can see exotic species of marine life both the Caribbean and Pacific Panama City.
How to get to the Amador Causeway?
The Amador Causeway is located next to the Bridge of the Americas, approximately 15 minutes from the city of Panama, there are taxis, bucitos that can provide transportation or national tourists to travel from Panama City to the Amador Causeway.
Map of Panama