The Caribbean Travel and Tourist Guide
Santo Domingo Top Destinations -
Best Places to visit in Santo Domingo Dominican Republic
Search and Compare Prices and Save on Travel to Santo Domingo Dominican Republic with guiaviajesvirtual.com
Book Cheap Hotels Deals, Cheap Flights, Vacation Packages, All Inclusive Resorts, Car Rentals and Cruises
Santo Domingo Vacation and Travel Guide
We compare hotel prices provided by leading reservation systems
Santo Domingo, officially Santo Domingo de Guzman, is the capital and largest city in the Dominican Republic. In Santo Domingo is the first cathedral and the first castle of America; both located in the Colonial City, declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco area.
Santo Domingo is the cultural, financial, political, commercial and industrial center of the Dominican Republic. Shopping malls in the city are mainly in the Avenue Winston Churchill, where places like Acropolis Center, Blue Mall, and large supermarkets are. It is also home to most of the commercial banks, such as Banco Popular Dominicano, Scotiabank, Citibank, Banco BHD, Banco del Progreso, Banreservas, among others.
February 27th Avenue is very successful commercially, and is considered the most important avenue of the city. The oldest shopping centers in the country are the Central Plaza and Plaza Naco, the latter served as the first shopping center in the city. Sambil is one of the newer shopping centers built in the city, which attracts many middle-income families. The city has an established securities market in the late 90s.
Museums of Santo Domingo
- Santo Domingo is home to numerous museums dedicated to the history of the Dominican Republic. Most of them are within the Colonial Zone.
- Alcázar de Colón Museum, dedicated to the preservation, exhibition and dissemination of the life of the Colon family in the city of Santo Domingo and the colonial era.
- Altar de la Patria, where the remains of the three fathers of the Dominican nation.
- Naval Museum of the Atarazanas, Its mission is conservation, exhibition and dissemination of the artistic heritage of national archaeological underwater.
- Museo de las Casas Reales, dedicated to the colonial era.
- Museum Duarte, summarizes and displays the history of the movement and struggle for independence.
- Museum of Natural History, designed for different knowledge related to nature and the environment, taking into account biodiversity and ecology Dominican.
- Museum of the Dominican Man, for the conservation, research, exhibition and dissemination of artistic heritage and intangible heritage on national anthropology, archeology and pre-Columbian national ethnology.
- World Amber Museum, whose mission is the exhibition and dissemination of the use of the national amber.
- Museum of Modern Art, dedicated to the preservation, research, exhibition and dissemination of artistic heritage on national modern and contemporary visual arts.
- National Museum of History and Geography, is dedicated to all of Dominican history, from the pre-Columbian era to contemporary times.
Monuments of Santo Domingo
Famous landmarks in Santo Domingo include the Calle El Conde, the Puerta de la Misericordia, Cathedral Santa Maria La Menor (Cathedral of America), and the Alcázar de Colón, all located in the Colonial Zone of the city. This part was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1990.
In the city center, the area of the Malecón is a vibrant commercial and tourist center, with the eye-catcher the obelisk located at the eastern end of Avenida George Washington.
Other points of interest are the Plaza de la Cultura, which houses the most important cultural sites in the city such as the National Theatre Eduardo Brito and the Museum of Modern Art; the Palacio de Bellas Artes, a neoclassical theater that is the permanent home of the National Symphony Orchestra; Mirador Sur Park, a park of six square kilometers in the southwestern part of the city; and February 27 Boulevard, a pedestrian promenade located on the busy Avenida 27 de Febrero which displays many works of art from prominent Dominican artists and sculptors.
Another attraction is the Juan Pablo Duarte Olympic Center, a sports complex in the heart of Santo Domingo. The complex was used for celeb 2003 Pan American Games.
Parks and Recreational Areas of Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo has several parks, three of which are Viewpoints and are located in the north, south and east of the city, respectively. Although these parks are relatively large, Santo Domingo still lacks sufficient recreational areas. The National District is surrounded by the Green Belt of Santo Domingo. Some parks and recreational places are:
- Enriquillo park
- Mirador Sur park, located in the southwest section of the city.
- Independence Park, where the independence of the country in the Colonial Zone occurred.
- Columbus Park, dedicated to the discovery located in the Colonial Zone
- Metropolitan Park Las Praderas
- The Malecón
- National Botanical Garden
- National Zoological Park
- Chinatown Santo Domingo
- Nunez Park Caceres
Discover Santo Domingo
Las Américas International Airport (IATA: SDQ, ICAO: MDSD) is an international airport located in Punta Caucedo, near Santo Domingo and Boca Chica in the Dominican Republic. Las Américas usually receives a wide variety of long-, mid- and short-haul aircraft.
Las Américas Airport's runway direction is north–south (designated 17–35). This runway is the largest in the country, and one of the largest in the Caribbean. With a length of 3,355 m, it is able to support an Airbus A380.
It has five gates on the main satellite concourse (A), A2 through A6. Other gate facilities are for the flights departing from a parking in the taxiway. Concourse B has four gates, B1 through B4. Terminal B now features a co-branded Copa Club operated jointly by United Airlines and Copa Airlines, and a Private Lounge exclusive to members and business people.
The average number of daily flights in and out of Las Américas ranges between 68 and 84 flights. JetBlue Airways is the largest airline operating at Las Américas.
Book Today and Save
We search through more than 170 travel sites to find the lowest and most recent prices